Closing Date: Open Until Filled.
Under direct supervision, assists with a variety of recreation program activities, monitoring participants, and assisting in the implementation of team sports, programs, and activities.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Under direct supervision of the Recreation Manager or designee, the Recreation Leader I is responsible for assisting with overseeing various City recreation programs.
This position does not exercise any supervision.
Examples of ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Illustrative Only)
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform similar or additional duties as assigned from those set forth below to address departmental needs and changing departmental practices. Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the recreation staff with a variety of basic tasks; duties will vary according to job assignment.
- Prepares field or court prior to sports event or game. Helps with set-up and clean-up of fields and courts, making sure they are safe and hazard free.
- Assists with organizing activities and learns to maintain discipline at recreation facilities
- Arrives 30 minutes prior to the start of the first game to inspect and set up the field or court and meets with managers and coaches.
- Assists in the instruction of various arts, crafts, games, and sports, and learns the rules and techniques.
- Assists in enforcement of rules, regulations, and safety precautions, maintaining the safety of participants at all times.
- Assists in overseeing games, utilizing and enforcing rules and regulations set forth by the City.
- Assists in the enforcement of rules, regulations, and safety precautions for City facilities.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Soledad and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior while interacting with the public, visitors, City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
- Other duties as assigned.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Any combination equivalent to training and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities would be acceptable for employment. A typical background for minimum qualifications in both education and experience would be:
- Must be at least 16 years of age; and one year of customer service and/or experience organizing, and leading youth activities preferred.
- Basic rules for athletic games and sporting competitions.
- Operations of public recreation programs.
- City policies and procedures
- Follow verbal and written instructions.
- Monitoring operations and notifying supervisor of safety and discipline issues
- Dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
- Attention to detail and awareness of surroundings.
Special requirements include being available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as required.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Requires use of a personal computer and related software programs, calculator, telephone, copy machine and fax machine. The Parks & Recreation Department will supply all necessary materials and equipment to effectively and successfully conduct all programs and events.
Must possess mobility to work in a recreation and office environment. In the recreation environment, the employee is required to participate in recreation activities that include sitting, standing, walking, use of hands, reaching with hands and arms, climbing or bending. In an office setting, is required to use standard office equipment, including a computer. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds and may be required to drive a vehicle. Must possess vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Applicants will be required to complete a Live Scan check. Minors will be required to provide a Work Permit issued by the appropriate authority.
All of the statements listed in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change.