Closing Date: Open Until Filled.
Under supervision, performs a variety of activities in support of recreation programs, including front line customer service, instruction, monitoring, and assisting with the supervision of individual and team sports, programs, and activities. Monitors and maintains the facility during general operations as well as special events and activities.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED AND RECEIVED
General supervision is received from the Recreation Manager or designee. Direct supervision may be provided for Recreation Leader I and other instructors.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Illustrative Only)
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform similar or additional duties as assigned from those set forth below to address departmental needs and changing departmental practices. Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Implements program activities by conducting, guiding, and training program participants; duties will vary according to job assignment.
- Gathers and assembles materials and supplies for recreation activities. Recommends supply needs to supervisor.
- Sets up facilities for a variety of activities, including programs, events, and rentals.
- Organizes activities and maintains discipline at indoor and outdoor recreation facilities. Instructs various activities, arts, crafts, games, and sports; explains the rules and techniques for activities; assists participants to ensure the best possible experience in a variety of programs.
- Provides front line customer service. Registers participant for classes and special events, handles money exchanges, greets and monitors the public. Ensures accurate records and transactions. Checks in/out all visitors and attendees to the facilities as well as equipment, ensuring the condition and safe return of all items.
- Opens, closes, inspects, cleans, and organizes buildings as necessary following each activity, event, and during general operations.
- Enforces rules, regulations, and safety precautions for all programs and facilities.
- Provides recreation and maintenance support, maintains recreation facilities and equipment in clean and safe conditions, and in compliance with City policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Performs a variety of general office, accounting, and recreation assignments, including typing, proofreading, filing, and recording and checking information on records; answers the telephone and waits on the public, scheduling appointments and giving information and assistance as required; operates office equipment and files documents and records according to predetermined classifications; and prepares and distributes forms; ensures accuracy on all data entry.
- Provides accurate information, instructions, and assistance to the public; assists customer with requests, program participation, applications, and other required documents.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Soledad and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior while interacting with the public, visitors, City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
- Other duties as assigned.
The following generally describes the knowledge and abilities required to enter the job and/or to be learned within a defined short period of time to successfully perform the assigned duties.
- Operation, procedures, policies and precedents of the office and department where assigned; correct English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation; mathematics; telephone and receptionist techniques; modern office methods, practices and procedures.
- City policies and procedures
- Individual and group recreation activities including games, sports, crafts, etc. for all ages. Rules for athletic games and sporting competitions.
- First aid techniques.
- Follow verbal and written instructions and communicate with supervisor.
- Involve groups and individuals in program participation.
- Deal tactfully and courteously with the public and other City employees. Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with employees and the general public.
- Read handwritten, typed or machine generated text, graphical and statistical material without aides other than eyeglasses and, or contact lenses.
- Absorb data, learn and apply procedures required to perform the full range of analytic tasks required by typical duties of the class.
- Manage and maintain accounting for money and making change.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Any combination equivalent to training and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities would be acceptable for employment. A typical background for minimum qualifications in both education and experience would be:
Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Experience: One (1) year of work or volunteer experience serving as a Recreation Leader I or similar position.
Special requirements include being available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as required.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Requires use of a personal computer and related software programs, calculator, telephone, copy machine and fax machine. The Parks & Recreation Department will supply all necessary materials and equipment to effectively and successfully conduct all programs and events.
Must possess mobility to work in a recreation and office environment. In the recreation environment, indoor and outdoor, the employee is required to participate in recreation activities that include sitting, standing, walking, running, use of hands, reaching with hands and arms, climbing or bending. In an office setting, is required to use standard office equipment, including a computer. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds and required to drive a vehicle. Must possess vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Applicants will be required to complete a Live Scan check. Minors will be required to provide a Work Permit issued by the appropriate authority.
All of the statements listed in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change.